Individually and collectively, we can impact the future of our world and our community by creating:
- A sustainable vision of the future
- A widely held ethic of stewardship
- Innovative solutions for sustainable use, development, and revitalization
This section includes some ideas about simple ways in which you can help create a sustainable community.
What Is "Sustainable"?
To put it simply, "sustainable" means that we use our resources so they last forever.
How Do We Know When A Community Is Sustainable?
There is a balance between resources used and resources generated:
- When we use resources, for example, lumber from trees, we ensure that new trees are planted to replace those that were harvested.
- Resources are as clean at the end of use as at the beginning.
- Water that has been used in cities is cleaned at treatment facilities and reused.